It’s that time of year. Everyone is Facebooking their daily thankful list all leading up to one of my most favorite holidays, THANKSGIVING! I’ve opted to share my thoughts here in the blog-o-sphere world I’ve grown to love, one of my thankFUL things for sure, but before that…can I just say first off how Good God is?!
God IS Good
Just like GOD IS LOVE, HE IS GOOD. Goodness is a part of His character that doesn’t change. It’s the same never change-ness as in…nothing can separate me from His love; or He never leaves me nor forsakes me; or He sticks closer than a brother; or He shall supply ALL my needs…
Everything He does is Good and His desire for me is Good. I may not feel that Goodness in the midst of circumstances that seem contrary, but that doesn’t change the truth of who He is or His intent for me.
We hear this statement over and over in sermons, worship songs, among friends…but I’ve spent a lot of time this year reading and studying about the Goodness of God and after soaking in it, the truth of it has become LIFE to me. In my ‘Aha’ moment, I’ve discovered that one of the biggest weapons the enemy will use to shake our faith foundation is to get us doubting the Goodness of God. If he can make a crack in that belief, then our trust in God diminishes little by little. It’s like we’re standing on ice that’s cracking instead of a rock that’s firm. Doubt cripples are ability to stand on His word believing for healing or answers to prayers. It’s at the core of our salvation. I’d say that’s a pretty big crack, all slippery and makes for an easy fall.
As it says in Proverbs 3:5 Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding…
How can you “lean on” or “be confident in” God if you don’t trust that all His plans for you are for Good and not for evil? The Word says…
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord , “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
One crack in your foundation will lead to another. Keep going and fear sets in. You begin to hear… Does He even want to help me, heal me, answer my prayer? Does He care about me? Is He willing? The enemy is a LIAR! We just read that the Lord’s plans for us are not to harm us, to prosper us… I’d say He wants to, and that doesn’t change, remember that!
There’s a new song I’m learning – and the tag line says “When I don’t understanding, I will choose You…because You are God, and God is Good…” Now there’s a tool to use, “choosing.” There are times when things don’t go how we think they should, those are the times we choose to stand on God’s Goodness. He will bring about His Goodness in us in some way we never thought. Hard as it is to do, it’s truth and I’ve lived this truth over and over so many times.
So, let’s get this straight. GOD IS GOOD, period.
Build your foundation right and you WILL stand strong. Your faith can hold during the storms that come no matter what they are. If you get that revelation and truly believe in the innate Goodness of God, it will revolutionize your spiritual life. It has mine.
So back to being thankful.
What am I thankful for?
Can you say EVERYTHING?
My thank you tank is pretty FULL it seems. As I began to list them out, they just kept coming and coming and some are just special to me, things I love. Below is only part and in no particular order ~ I’m thankful for:
- my handsome, very hard-working, talented, artistic, prophetic preacher hubby/boyfriend,
- two extra special boys with gifts and callings they are just discovering and of whom I’m so proud,
- an amazingly special dad, I love being like you,
- my mom, always and forever remembered,
- my wise preacher lady sister who I’m so blessed to be your big sis,
- my sisters-in-love, we’ve done life together and you’re all priceless,
- my nieces, nephews, cousins, aunties/uncles…all~y’all,
- my awesome job (I LOVE MY JOB),
- my kitty Smokey,
- kisses from my new puppy Sophie,
- my New Season CWC church family (YOU ALL ROCK),
- SINGING AGAIN,
- getting up early to meet with God and smelling the coffee brewing…priceless,
- leading worship freely – being able to jump around (like a crazy woman) if I want to, :o)
- the fact that I don’t walk around in physical pain anymore,
- sitting in a restaurant booth and have room to spare,
- crossing my legs, priceless!
- my galpals, kindred hearts, forever friends, MOVIE DAYS! (you know who you are),
- coffee w/ coconut milk,
- dark chocolate,
- raisins (natures candy),
- BBQ anything – just the smell, Ummm
I must be hungry…back to reality…
- grace (divine enablement),
- shopping with $$ (I hate window shopping),
- phone calls w/friends,
- sleeping in on Saturday’s,
- watching movies while doing dishes,
- a fixed washer! HALLELUJAH,
- making soup,
- going through my mom’s recipes,
- the smell and sound of rain,
- turkey roasting,
- pumpkin anything,
- the smell of fresh roses,
- drinking water from a mason jar,
- random texts just to say hi,
- hearing the ocean roar,
- the smell of my favorite perfume,
- my treadmill…we have a love/hate relationship, but all in all, I’m thankful for it,
- for tenacity, fortitude, perseverance,
- joy for mourning,
- and most importantly that I’m a survivor – with shaky knees, weak ankles, damaged body parts, wrinkles and saggies, fears and failures, victories, tears of joy and sadness, confusion when I just don’t get it…and relief and joy when I do…I’m thankFUL that God’s mercy is new every morning and that He loves me…